Cal Grants/State Aid

In addition to the Pell grants provided by the Federal Government the State of California also offers additional sources of financial aid for eligible California resident students.

Cal Grant

The Cal Grant is a financial aid program provided by the California Student Aid Commission that provides aid to California students who are working towards their undergraduate, vocational, and teaching certification programs. 

To be eligible for the Cal Grant students must:

  • Submit a FAFSA or California Dream Application for College of Marin (OPE ID: 001178).  
  • Submit a verified Cal Grant GPA to the California Student Aid Commission by March 2nd to be eligible for the Fall semester and September 2nd to be eligible for the Spring semester.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen (your parents don’t need to be citizens or eligible noncitizens for you to be eligible for a Cal Grant)
  • Be a California resident when you graduate from high school or be exempt from out of state tuition (AB 540)
  • Not have a bachelor’s or professional degree
  • Have financial need based on your college costs
  • Meet any minimum GPA requirements
  • Be in a program leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate
  • Be enrolled at least half-time
  • Have registered with U.S. Selective Service (most males)
  • Not owe a refund on a state or federal grant, or be in default on a student loan

Special note:
Although a FAFSA application can be submitted at any time during the academic year, the Cal Grant has a deadline of March 2nd to be considered for priority eligibility.

Cal Grant Access Awards for Students with Dependents

  • Cal Grant students with dependent children attending a University of California, California State University, or California Community College campus may be eligible for an access award of up to $6,000 for qualifying Cal Grant A and B recipients and up to $4,000 for eligible Cal Grant C recipients.
  • Dependent children must be under 18 years of age and receive more than 50 percent of their support from the student. CSAC will be notifying students for the self-certification process. 

Community College Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG)

The SSCG is a new program being offered to eligible Cal Grant recipients who are attending a California Community College. Students must maintain and follow a current Student Education Plan and be making Satisfactory Academic Progress.

  • Students enrolled in 12-14.99 units - may receive an additional $649 per semester
  • Students enrolled in 15 or more units - may receive an additional $2,000 per semester (max of $4,000 per year)
Special note:
A student must have a Cal Grant B or C award in order to receive the SSCG. Awards are limited and are on a first-come, first-serve basis. 

California Dream Act

The California Dream Act is the collective name given to Assembly Bills passed in California.  The California Dream Application allows eligible students with undocumented status to apply for and receive state-based financial aid (Cal Grants) and institutional scholarships that they previously would not have been eligible for.

To be eligible for the California Dream Act student’s must:

  • Have either attended a California High School and completed at least three years of academic credits or attended a combination of a California High School, Elementary School or Postsecondary school and acquired a minimum of three academic years of credit
  • Have graduated from a California high school or obtained a Certificate or General Education Development (GED)
  • Have an AB 540 or AB 2000 on file with the Enrollment Services Office and be found eligible for California in-state tuition
  • Not have a valid non-immigrant visa (F, J, H, L, A, B, C, D, E, etc.)

Special Note:
T visa holders are eligible to submit a FAFSA and U visa holders are eligible to submit a California Dream Application.

If you meet the requirements above, you should complete the CA Dream Act Application for financial aid.

To submit a California Dream Act application to College of Marin or to get more information, visit the California Dream Act website at