College Of Marin Serves Students Of All Ages

Anyone 18 years of age or older, with or without a high school diploma, is eligible to enroll at College of Marin. For information concerning enrollment of students under age 18 who are not currently enrolled in high school or lower and without a diploma (or equivalent), contact the Enrollment Services Office or the Counseling Office

Residence Requirements for Admission

In general, to be considered a resident for tuition purposes, a student must have lived in California for 366 days (one year and one day) immediately preceding the residence determination date. The student must also provide documentation (as defined by the California Education Code) proving the student's intention to make California the student's permanent home. The residency determination date is the day before the semester begins.

California Residency Requirements

Under the State of California Education Code, to establish California residency, a person must document both:

  1. Objective proof of physical presence one year and one day prior to the first day of instruction for the term for which he/she has applied, as indicated in the Schedule of Important Dates, and
  2. Intent to make California his/her permanent home. Act of intent must be accomplished for one full year. Evidence of intent to make California their permanent home could include, but is not limited to a minimum of two (2) of the following:
    • Voting in California elections
    • Obtaining a California driver’s license
    • Paying state income tax
    • Registering a motor vehicle in California
    • Maintaining continuous residence in California

College of Marin may determine—at the time of admission or at a later date—that such students may not have met the residence requirements for California community colleges. Such students will subsequently be assessed and billed the nonresident tuition fee per unit at the current academic year rate.

Students who have not reached the age of 18 years are regarded as minors; their residence is that of one or both parents. Therefore, a student who is a minor is regarded as a resident of California only if one or both parents meet the California residency requirements as specified above.

Special residence regulations are in effect for married minors, for minors whose parents are deceased, for certain military members and their dependents, and for various others. Contact our office for more information.

Continuing nonresident students at College of Marin (with the exception of international students), who think that they meet the time and intent requirements necessary to establish California residency must contact the Office of Enrollment Services for residency verification and adjustments.

There are other factors to be considered for non-resident students holding various types of visas. These students are advised to contact the Office of Enrollment Services, at (415) 457-8811 ext. 8822, for clarification.

Residency Adjustments

Residency adjustments are not automatic. It is the student’s responsibility to initiate a residency inquiry and to provide proof of California residency.

Residency Appeals

Students may appeal their residency status as determined by College of Marin through the following procedures:

  • Requests must be addressed, in writing, to the Dean of Enrollment Services, within two weeks of receipt of the notification.
  • If further review is required, a meeting with the Dean of Enrollment Services may be requested.
  • Students are required to provide ALL documents necessary to verify their residency status.

AB540/Dream Act Nonresident Tuition Exemption

AB540 is a state law that exempts certain students who are not residents of California from paying nonresident tuition at the California Community Colleges. As a nonresident, you may be eligible to pay the $46 per unit California resident enrollment fee.

Who is eligible?

Students who meet all of the following requirements:

  1. You attended a California high school for three or more years.
  2. You graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent of a high school diploma from California, e.g., the G.E.D. or California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE).
  3. You registered in the spring of 2002 or later.
  4. You completed an AB 540 California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Form.

If you have been determined to be a nonresident of California and meet all of the above requirements, please complete the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Form and submit it to the Enrollment Services Office. Please contact the Enrollment Services Office if you need help filling out the form.

AB 2210/Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) Holders and Refugee Student Nonresident Tuition Exemption

Education Code 68075.6 grants an immediate nonresident tuition fee exemption to eligible Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) holders and refugee students who settled in California upon entering the United States. This exemption is granted for one year from the date the student settled in California upon entering the United States.

This exemption applies to the following:

  • Iraqi citizens or nationals (and their spouses and children) who were employed by or on behalf of the United States Government in Iraq (Pub.L. No. 110-181, §1244)
  • Afghan and Iraqi translators (and their spouses and children) who worked directly with the United States Armed Forces (Pub.L. No. 109-163, §1059)
  • Afghanistan Nationals who were employed by or on behalf of the U.S. government or in the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan (Pub.L. No. 111-8,, §602)
  • Refugee students admitted to the United States under Section 1157 of Title 8 of the United States Code